Safety and Efficacy of a Non-Invasive 1060 nm Diode Laser for Fat Reduction of the Abdomen
January 2018 | Volume 17 | Issue 1 | Original Article | 106 | Copyright © January 2018
Lawrence S. Bass MD FACSa and Sean T. Doherty MD FACSb
aDepartment of Plastic Surgery, Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, New York, NY bDivision of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Emerson Hospital, Concord, MA
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Statistics. Cosmetic Surgery National Data Bank. 2013. Accessed January 28, 2015. http://www.surgery.org/sites/default/files/Stats2013_4.pdf
- Gadsden E., Aguilar M.T., Smoller B.R., Jewell M.L. Evaluation of a Novel High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound Device for Ablating Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue for Noninvasive Body Contouring : Safety Studies in Human Volunteers. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2011; 31(4):401-410.
- Fatemi A. High-intensity focused ultrasound effectively reduces adipose tissue. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2009 Dec;28(4):257-62.
- Franco W, Kothare A, Ronan SJ, Grekin RC, McCalmont TH. Hyperthermic injury to adipocyte cells by selective heating of subcutaneous fat with a novel radiofrequency device: feasibility studies. Lasers Surg Med. 2010;42(5):361-370.
- Decorato J, Sierra R, Chen B. Clinical and histological evaluations of a novel 1060nm laser device for non-invasive fat reduction. 34th Annual American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Meeting; April 2014; Phoenix, AZ. Abstract No.
- Chen B, Sierra R, Katz B, Doherty S, Bass L. Objective evaluation of fat reduction treatment with a non-invasive 1060 nm diode laser. 35th Annual American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Meeting; April 2015; Kissimmee, Fl. Abstract No.
- Krueger N, Mai SV, Luebberding S, Sadick NS. Cryolipolysis for noninvasive body contouring: clinical efficacy and patient satisfaction. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2014:7 201–205.
- Avram MM, Harry RS. Cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat layer reduction. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):703-708.
- Manstein D, Laubach H, Watanabe K, Farinelli W, Zurakowske D, Anderson RR. Selective cryolysis: A novel method of non-invasive fat removal. Lasers Surg Med. 2008;40:595– 604.
- Zelickson B, Egbert BM, Preciado J, Allison J, Springer K, Rhoades RW, Manstein D. Cryolipolysis for Noninvasive Fat Cell Destruction: Initial Results from a Pig Model. Dermatol Surg. 2009;35:1–9.
- Klein KB, Zelickson B, Riopelle JG, Okamoto E, Bachelor EP, Harry RS, Preciado JA. Non-invasive cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat reduction does not affect serum lipid levels or liver function tests. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):785-90.
- Ingargiola MJ1, Motakef S, Chung MT, Vasconez HC, Sasaki GH. Cryolipolysis for fat reduction and body contouring: safety and efficacy of current treatment paradigms. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jun;135(6):1581-90.
- He X, Bischof JC. Quantification of temperature and injury response in thermal therapy and cryosurgery. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2003;31(5-6):355-422.
- Gaylor, D. C. Physical mechanism of celluar injury in electrical trauma. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Ph. D. Dissertation. (1989).
- Moussa N, Tell E, Cravalho E. Time progression of hemolysis or erythrocyte populations exposed to supraphysiologic temperatures. J Biomech Eng 1979, 101:213-217.
- Goldman A, Gotkin RH. Laser-assisted liposuction. Clin Plast Surg. 2009 Apr;36(2):241-53, vii; discussion 255-60.
- Woodhall KE, Saluja R, Khoury J, Goldman MP.A comparison of three separate clinical studies evaluating the safety and efficacy of laser-assisted lipolysis using 1,064, 1,320 nm, and a combined 1,064/1,320 nm multiplex device. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):774-8.
- Jewell ML, Baxter RA, Cox SE, et al. Randomized sham-controlled trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a high-intensity focused ultrasound ultrasound device for noninvasive body sculpting. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;128:253-262.
- Saedi N, Kaminer M. New waves for fat reduction: high-intensity focused ultrasound. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):26-30.
- Ascher B. Safety and efficacy of UltraShape Contour I treatments to improve the appearance of body contours: multiple treatments in shorter intervals. Aesthet Surg J. 2010 Mar;30(2):217-224.
- Boisnic S, Divaris M, Nelson AA, Gharavi NM, Lask GP. A clinical and biological evaluation of a novel, noninvasive radiofrequency device for the long-term reduction of adipose tissue. Lasers Surg Med. 2014 Feb;46(2):94-103.
- Zelickson BD, Burns AJ, Kilmer SL. Cryolipolysis for safe and effective inner thigh fat reduction. Lasers Surg Med. 2015 Jan 13.
Lawrence S. Bass MD email@example.com