The Rationale of Anti-Aging Cosmetic Ingredients
June 2017 | Volume 16 | Issue 6 | Supplement Individual Articles | 94 | Copyright © June 2017
Michèle Verschoore MDa,b and Marion Nielsen PharmDa
aL’Oréal Research & Innovation, Clichy, France bHopital Saint Louis, Centre Sabouraud, Paris, France
fine lines were found significantly decreased.26
In a multicenter blinded study, C-xyloside was also found significantly effective in alleviating skin aging signs in menopausal women.27, 28
Advances in methods for quantitative and reproducible evaluation of aging signs by clinicians, trained individuals, and panelists have resulted from outstanding progress in imaging techniques with high resolution level and software for observing, recording, and collecting data up to the ultrastructural level. Skin aging status and appearance can thus be objectively assessed to provide optimal answers to huge demand for skin anti-aging options for all skin types. New strategies using prevention, protection and boosting skin metabolism have been devised to test new evidence-based ingredients for skin antiaging bene ts. Sun and associated oxidative stress are clearly causative factors in premature altering of the facial appearance and exposed areas. These obviously make sun avoidance and protection by broad spectrum sunscreens with strong absorption in the UVA range a primary daily care, especially when coupled with antioxidants. Mild exfoliative products that smooth coarse or rough skin can prompt a faster epidermal turnover. A large range of carefully composed combinations of evidence-based ingredients can now be used for preventing or reversing troublesome concerns about the deterio- ration of the facial look and its related aged skin appearance.
Dr. Verschoore and Dr. Nielsen are full-time employees of L’Oréal Research & Innovation.
- Lavker RM. Cutaneous aging: Chronological versus photo-aging. In Gilchrest BA (ed): Photodamage. Cambridge: Blackwell Science, 1995:123-135.
- Ou-Yang H, Kollias N. Dermal contribution to UVA-induced oxidative stress in skin. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2009;25(2):65-70.
- Bazin R. Skin Aging Atlas, Vols I (Caucasian type), II (Asian type), III (African American type). MED’COM 2007, Paris, France.
- Urbanska M, Nowak G, Florek E. Cigarette smoking and its influence on skin aging. Przegl Lek. 2012;69(10):1111-4.
- Krutman J, Liu W, Li L, et al. Pollution and skin: from epidemiological and mechanical studies to clinical implications. J Dermatol Sci.2014;76: 163-168.
- Lefebvre MA, Pham DM, Boussouira B, et al. Evaluation of the impact of urban pollution on the quality of skin: a multicentre study in Mexico. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2015;37(3):329-338.
- Lefebvre MA, Pham DM, Boussouira B et al. Consequences of urban pollution upon skin status. A controlled study in Shanghai area. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2016;38(3):217-23.
- Krutman J, Bouloc A, Sore G, et al. The skin aging exposome. J Dermatol Sci. 2017;85:152-61.
- Non invasive methods and imaging techniques for investigating the skin in vivo. Lévêque JL, Li L, Verschoore M. Basic Science for Modern CosmeticDermatologyp. 85-96 Verschoore M., Liu Wei editors people’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing.
- Lévêque JL1, Querleux B SkinChip, a new tool for investigating the skin surface in vivo. Skin Res Technol. 2003;9(4):343-7.
- de Rigal J, Escof er C, Querleux B, Faivre B, Agache P, Lévêque JL. Assessment of aging of the human skin by in vivo ultrasonic imaging. J Invest Dermatol. 1989;93(5):621-5.
- Tancrède-Bohin E, Baldeweck T, Decencière E, Brizion S, Victorin S, Parent N, Faugere J, Souverain L, Bagot M, Pena AM. Non-invasive short-term assessment of retinoids effects on human skin in vivo using multiphoton microscopy. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015;29(4):673-81
- Halder R, Rodney I., Munhutu M., et al. Evaluation and effectiveness of a photoprotective composition sunscreen) on subjects of skin of color. XXII International Pigment Cell Conference, Singapore 2014. doi: 10.1111/ pcmr.12292, Abstract P185.
- Nusgens BV, Humbert P, Rougier, A, et al. Topically applied vitamin C enhances the mRNA level of collagens I and III, their processing enzymes and tissue inhibitor matrix metalloproteinase 1 in the human dermis. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;116:853-859.
- Murray JC, Burch JA, Streilen RD, et al. A topical antioxidant solution containing vitamins C and E stabilized by ferulic acid provides protection for human skin against damage caused by ultraviolet radiation. J Am Acad Der- matol. 2008;59:418-25.
- Ko R1, Kwak HS, Schumacher WE, et al. Improvement of naturally aged skin with vitamin A (retinol). Arch Dermatol. 2007;143(5):606-12.
- La Roche-Posay Scientific Dossier data on file
- Tran C,Michelet JF, et al. In vitro and in vivo studies with tetra-hydro-jasmonic acid (LR2412) reveal its potential to correct signs of skin ageing. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol.2014;28(4):415-423.
- Alexiades M., Clinical assessment of a novel dehydrojasmonate cosmeceutical, LR2412-CX, for the treatment of skin aging. J.Drugs Dermatol. 2016;15(2):209-15.
- Saint-léger D, Lévêque JL, Verschoore M. The use of hydroxy acids on the skin: characteristics of C8-lipohydroxy acid. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2007;6:59-65.
- Girardeau-Hubert S, Teluob S, Pageon H, et al. The reconstructed skin model as a new tool for investigating in vitro dermal fillers: increased broblast activity by hyaluronic acid. Eur J Dermatol. 2015;25(4):312-22.
- Sok J, Pineau N, et al. Improvement of the dermal epidermal junction in human reconstructed skin by a new c-xylopyranoside derivative. Eur J Dermatol. 2008;18(3):297-302.
- Cavezza A, Boulle C, et al. Synthesis of Pro-Xylane : a new biologically active C-glycoside in aqueous media. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19 (3):845-9
- Pineau N, Carrino DA et al. Biological evaluation of a new C-xylopyranoside derivative (C-Xyloside) and its role in glycosaminoglycan biosynthesis. Eur J Dermatol. 2011;21(3):359-70.
- Vassal-Stermann E, Duranton A et al. A new C-Xyloside induces modifications of GAG expression structure and functional properties. PLoS One. 2012;10:e47933.
- Draelos ZD, Yatskayer M et al. An evaluation of the effect of a topical product containing C-Xyloside and blueberry extract on the appearance of type II diabetic skin. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2009;8(2):147-51
- Bouloc A, Roo E et al. A compensating skin care complex containing Pro-Xylane in menopausal women: results from a multicenter, evaluator-blinded, randomized study. Acta Derm Venereol. 2017;97:541-52.
- Deloche C, Minondo AM, Bernard BA, Bernerd F, Salas F, Garnier J, Tancrede E. Effect of c-Xyloside on morphogenesis of the dermal epidermal junction in aged female skin. An unltrastuctural pilot study. Eur J Dermatol. 2011;21(2):191-6.
Michéle Verschoore MD E-mail:................................................... [email protected]