The supplement was well-tolerated. An overwhelming majority of subjects taking the active product not only found it to be more convenient to incorporate into their daily routine over using a topical application, but also preferred taking a natural alternative – underscoring the need for efficacious nutraceutical formulations. Furthermore, this emphasizes the importance of selecting tailored supplements that have clinical data on phytoactivity, bioavailability, standardized dosing, bio- optimization, and potency.12
- Ramos PM, Miot HA. Female pattern hair loss: a clinical and pathophysiological review. An Bras Dermatol. 2015;90:529-543.
- Gan DC, Sinclair RD. Prevalence of male and female pattern hair loss in Mary-borough. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2005;10(3):184-189.
- Schmitt JV, Ribeiro CF, Souza FH, et al. Hair loss perception and symptoms of depression in female outpatients attending a general dermatology clinic. An Bras Dermatol. 2012;87:412-417.
- Sadick NS, Callender VD, Kircik LH, Kogan S. New insight into the pathophysiology of hair loss trigger a paradigm shift in the treatment approach. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017;16(11):s135-s140.
- Ablon G, Kogan S. A six-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the safety and efficacy of a nutraceutical supplement for promoting hair growth in women with self-perceived thinning hair. J Drugs Dermatol. 2018;17(5):558-565.
- Ahluwalia J, Fabi SG. The psychological and aesthetic impact of age-related hair changes in females. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2019;18:1161-1169.
- Bienenfeld A, Azarchi S, Lo Sicco K, et al. Androgens in women: androgen-mediated skin disease and patient evaluation. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019;80:1497-1506.
- Herskovitz I, Tosti A. Female pattern hair loss. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2013;11:e9860.
- Fabbrocini G, Cantelli M, Masarà A, et al. Female pattern hair loss: A clinical, pathophysiologic, and therapeutic review. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2018;4:203-211.
- Ali I, Wojnarowska F. Physiological changes in scalp, facial and body hair after the menopause: a cross-sectional population-based study of subjective changes. Br J Dermatol. 2011;164(3):508-513.
- Mirmirani P. Hormonal changes in menopause: do they contribute to a 'midlife hair crisis' in women? Br J Dermatol. 2011;165:7-11.
- Farris PK, Rogers N, McMichael A, Kogan S. A novel multi-targeting approach to treating hair loss, using standardized nutraceuticals. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017;16(11):s141-s148.
- Ablon G. A 3-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the ability of an extra-strength marine protein supplement to promote hair growth and decrease shedding in women with self-perceived thinning hair. Dermatol Res Pract. 2015;2015:841570.
- Heinemann LA, DoMinh T, Strelow F, et al. The Menopause Rating Scale (MRS) as outcome measure for hormone treatment? A validation study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2004;2:67.
- Mishra LC, Singh BB, Dagenais S. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of withania somnifera (ashwagandha): a review. Altern Med Rev. 2000;5:334-346.
- Modi MB, Donga SB, Dei L. Clinical evaluation of ashokarishta, ashwagandha churna and praval pishti in the management of menopausal syndrome. Ayu. 2012;33:511-516.
- Auddy B ea. A standardized withania somnifera extract significantly reduces stress-related parameters in chronically stressed humans: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association. 2008;11(1):50-56.
- Akazawa N, Choi Y, Miyaki A, et al. Curcumin ingestion and exercise training improve vascular endothelial function in postmenopausal women. Nutr Res. 2012;32:795-799.
- Ramos PM, Brianezi G, Martins AC, et al. Apoptosis in follicles of individuals with female pattern hair loss is associated with perifollicular microinflamma- tion. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2016;38:651-654.
- Woods NF, Mitchell ES, Smith-Dijulio K. Cortisol levels during the menopausal transition and early post-menopause: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women's Health Study. Menopause. 2009;16:708-718.
- Thom E. Stress and the hair growth cycle: cortisol-induced hair growth disruption. J Drugs Dermatol. 2016;15(8):1001-1004.
- El Sayed MH, Abdallah MA, Aly DG, Khater NH. Association of metabolic syndrome with female pattern hair loss in women: a case-control study. Int J Dermatol. 2016;55:1131-1137.
- Goluch-Koniuszy ZS. Nutrition of women with hair loss problem during the period of menopause. Prz Menopauzalny. 2016;15:56-61.
- Prager N, Bickett K, French N, Marcovici G. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of botanically derived inhibi- tors of 5-alpha-reductase in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. J Altern Complement Med. 2002;8:143-152.
- Rossi A, Mari E, Scarno M, et al. Comparitive effectiveness of finasteride vs Serenoa repens in male androgenetic alopecia: a two-year study. Int J Immu- nopathol Pharmacol. 2012;25:1167-1173.
- Buonocore D, Verri M, Cattaneo L, et al. Serenoa repens extracts: In vitro study of the 5α-reductase activity in a co-culture model for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2018;90:199-202.
- Cheng C, Shen F, Ding G, et al. Lepidiline A improves the balance of endoge- nous sex hormones and increases fecundity by targeting HSD17B1. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2020;Apr 1 [Epub ahead of print].
- Meissner HO, Reich-Bilinska H, Mscisz A, Kedzia B. Therapeutic effects of pre-gelatinized maca (Lepidium peruvianum chacon) used as a non-hormonal alternative to HRT in perimenopausal women - clinical pilot study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006;2:143-159.
- López-Fando A, Gómez-Serranillos MP, Iglesias I, et al. Lepidium peruvianum chacon restores homeostasis impaired by restraint stress. Phytother Res. 2004;18:471-474.
- Zou Y, Aboshora W, Li J, et al. Protective effects of Lepidium meyenii (maca) aqueous extract and lycopene on testosterone propionate-induced prostatic hyperplasia in mice. Phytother Res. 2017;31:1192-1198.
- Sztretye M, Dienes B, Gönczi M, et al. Astaxanthin: a potential mitochondrial- targeted antioxidant treatment in diseases and with aging. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019;2019:3849692.
- Ng QX, De Deyn MLZQ, Loke W, et al. Effects of astaxanthin supplementation on skin health: a systematic review of clinical studies. J Diet Suppl. 2020;23:1-14.