Collagen compounds for oral supplementation are broken down into peptides through enzyme hydrolyzation, creating particles of lower molecular weight, which are more easily absorbed, appearing in the bloodstream 1 hour after ingestion.14 Recent randomized controlled trial data has increasingly confirmed that oral intake of hydrolyzed collagen has the effect of improving skin health by affecting skin hydration and inducing collagen synthesis. The evidence also shows increased expression of enzymes key in hyaluronic-acid synthesis, which is associated with increased hydration (Figure 1).
Elastin is an important protein in the extracellular matrix that is primarily composed of the amino acids glycine, valine, alanine, and proline. This protein found in elastic connective tissues, enabling those tissues, such as the skin, to return to their original shapes after stretching or contracting. When the skin is manipulated out of shape, such as by poking or pinching, elastin helps the skin resume its original shape and position.15 Like collagen, elastin is produced by connective tissue fibroblasts, which secrete tropoelastin. The loss of elastic tissue causes the skin to become more fragile and to lose firmness.
Currently, to treat collagen and elastin loss caused by aging, dermatologists recommend topical treatments, such as creams with retinols or growth factors, decrease exposure to the sun to prevent further damage, sunscreens, intense-pulsed light (IPL), skin peels, or more invasive treatments from cosmetic surgeons or laser treatments. Incorporating a neutraceutical daily supplement into other treatment plans could benefit and help prevent disease, and also help to improve the symptoms and outward signs of skin aging.
Oral supplementation for addressing skin aging and age-related skin disorders has an advantage over topical skin-care regimens in that the blood delivers bioactive compounds continuously to the dermis.16 With the right formulation, nutraceutical supplements can induce better skin health intrinsically with a high level of bioavailability. The Skinade product, which has been the focus of recent research, uses 2kDal patented types 1 and 3 collagen peptides from freshwater fish skin to trigger fibroblast proliferation and increase fibroblast activity in the dermis. Hydrolyzed marine collagen is known to be the mostabundant source of type 1 and 3 collagen that comprise the skin.
- Hydrolyzed marine collagen Low molecular weight peptides trigger fibroblast proliferation, activation, and hyaluronicacid production in the target organ.
- Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate) supports fibroblast proliferation and maintains stability of collagen during photoaging, via antioxidant activity. The vitamin C also reduces redness. The supplement includes 180 mg of vitamin C in the form of calcium ascorbate, without which the fibroblast proliferation and activation cannot occur.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) provides sulfur for structural proteins required for collagen formation. This ingredient protects the integrity of collagen, which is integral to elastin (improving skin elasticity). MSM also improves skin hydration; serves as an anti-inflammatory, has detoxifying capabilities, and prevents cross-linking of the collagen fibers in the dermis and improves sulphur bridges.
- B-complex vitamins have powerful antioxidant properties that are essential for skin health. These vitamins also promote blood flow and, thereby, help oxygenate and supply nutrition to the skin, also contributing to skin radiance and glow.
- Organic flaxseed, the botanical, Linum usitatissium, is an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in a perfect 4:1 ratio to balance oil production in the sebaceous glands. This botanical has strong anti-inflammatory properties and helps prevent transepidermal water loss to reduce dryness.
- L-lysine is an essential amino acid that enhances collagen integrity at the cellular level. This amino acid is an immunesystem booster that assists ceramide production when combined with an antioxidant. The amino acid also helps rebuild the collagen matrix. MSM, L-lysine, and the B vitamins produce a more-clear and uniform complexion. The product does not contain gluten, bovine, or porcine products; nor are there hormones, genetically modified organisms, alcohol, added sugar, artificial flavors or artificial colors.25