Finally, although these Consensus Statements provide clinicians with recommendations, further work is necessary to generate the data that would be needed to develop evidence-based guidelines. We encourage the manufacturer to support the development of a patient registry that would allow prospective collection of outcomes data from both patients and treatment data from clinicians.
Solta Medical had no role in the design or conduct of the study nor collection, management, analysis or interpretation of the data; nor in the preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript.
The authors would like to thank Jeffrey S. Dover MD, FRCPC, (SkinCare Physicians, Chestnut Hill, MA), for his expert review of the manuscript and Judi Miller (SRxA, McLean, VA) for assistance with consensus statement methodology research, questionnaire design and interpretation and manuscript preparation. Ms. Miller’s work was financially supported by Solta Medical.
2. Hsu CC. The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus. practical assessment, research & evaluation. 2007;12;10:1-8.
3. Jones J, Hunter D. Qualitative research: consensus methods for medical and health services research. BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 1995;311(7001):376–80.
4. Avouac J, Fransen J, Walker UA, Riccieri V, et al. Preliminary criteria for the very early diagnosis of systemic sclerosis: results of a Delphi consensus study from EULAR Scleroderma Trials and Research Group. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011;70(3):476–81.
5. Powell BJ, McMillen JC, Proctor EK, Carpenter CR, et al. A compilation of strategies for implementing clinical innovations in health and mental health. Med Care Res Rev. 2012;69(2):123–57.
6. Ilic D, Nordin RB, Glasziou P, Tilson JK, et al. Development and validation of the ACE tool: assessing medical trainees’ competency in evidence based medicine. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14(1):114.
7. Rosier PF, De Ridder D, Meijlink J, Webb R, et al. Developing evidence-based standards for diagnosis and management of lower urinary tract or pelvic floor dysfunction. Neurourol Urodyn. 2012;31(5):621-4.
8. Kerr MP, Mensah S, Besag F, de Toffil B, et al. International consensus clinical practice statements for the treatment of neuropsychiatric conditions associated with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2011;52(11):2133-8.
9. Flume PA, Mogayzel PJ, Robinson KA, Rosenblatt RL, et al. Cystic fibrosis pulmonary guidelines: pulmonary complications: hemoptysis and pneumothorax. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182(3):298–306.
10. Linstone HA, Turoff M. The Delphi method: techniques and applications. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley; 1975.
11. MedlinePlus [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed. Accessed September 4, 2019.
12. Burnes JA. Thermage: Monopolar radiofrequency. Aesthetic Surg J. 2005;25:38-42.
13. Alexiades-Armenakas M.R. A quantitative and comprehensive grading scale for rhytides, laxity and photoaging. J Drugs Dermatol. 2006 Sep; 5 (8): 808-9.
14. Dover JS, Zelickson B; 12-Physician multispecialty consensus panel. Results of a survey of 5,700 patient monopolar radiofrequency facial skin tightening treatments: assessment of a low-energy multiple-pass technique leading to a clinical end point algorithm. Dermatol Surg. 2007;33(8):900-7.
15. Solta Medical; Hayward, CA. Personal communication. June 26, 2019.
16. Jiminez-Lozano J, Vacas-Jacques P, Franco W. Thermo-elastic response of cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues to noninvasive radiofrequency heating. Excerpt from the Proceedings of the 2012 COSMOL Conference in Boston.
17. Kirsch KM, Zelickson BD, Zachary CB, Tope WD. Ultrastructure of collagen thermally denatured by microsecond domain pulsed carbon dioxide laser. Arch Dermatol. 1998; 134(10):1255-1259.
18. Kist D, Burns J, Sanner R, Counters J, et al. Ultrastructural evaluation of multiple pass low energy versus single pass high energy radio-frequency treatment. Lasers Surg Med. 2006;38:150-144.
19. Beasley KL, Weiss RA. Radiofrequency in cosmetic dermatology. Dermatol Clin. 2014;32:79-90
20. Fritz M, Counters JT, Zelickson BD. Radiofrequency treatment for middle and lower face laxity. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2004;6:370-3. 21. Zelickson BD, Kist D, Bernstein E, Brown DB, et al. Histological and ultrastructural evaluation of the effects of a radiofrequency-based nonablative dermal remodeling device: a pilot study. Arch Dermatol. 2004;140:204-9.