Recommendations for Prevention of Drug Re-Exposure in Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
October 2019 | Volume 18 | Issue 10 | Features | 1049 | Copyright © October 2019
Kathleen F. O’Brien MS,ª Karl M. Saardi MD,B Laura S. Johnson MD,a,c Jeffrey W. Shupp MD,a,c Nemanja Rodic MD PhD,a,b and Helena B. Pasieka MD MSa,b
ªGeorgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
BDepartment of Dermatology, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC
cThe Burn Center, Department of Surgery, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC
The authors have no conflicts.
- "Adverse Drug Events." Health.gov, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 16 Apr. 2019, health.gove/hcq/ade.asp.
- Bevil CW. Medication management in an elderly, community-based population: a pilot project. J N Y State Nurses Assoc. Jun 1981;12(2):19-29.
- Krska J, Cromarty JA, Arris F, et al. Pharmacist-led medication review in patients over 65: a randomized, controlled trial in primary care. Age Ageing. May 2001;30(3):205-211.
- Look KA, Mott DA. Multiple pharmacy use and types of pharmacies used to obtain prescriptions. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). Nov-Dec 2013;53(6):601-610.
- Chen CB, Abe R, Pan RY, et al. An updated review of the molecular mechanisms in drug hypersensitivity. J Immunol Res. 2018;2018:6431694.
- Schwartz RA, McDonough PH, Lee BW. Toxic epidermal necrolysis: Part I. Introduction, history, classification, clinical features, systemic manifestations, etiology, and immunopathogenesis. J Am Acad Dermatol. Aug 2013;69(2):173 e171-113; quiz 185-176.
- Finkelstein Y, Soon GS, Acuna P, et al. Recurrence and outcomes of Stevens- Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in children. Pediatrics. Oct 2011;128(4):723-728.
- Finkelstein Y, Macdonald EM, Li P, Hutson JR, Juurlink DN. Recurrence and mortality following severe cutaneous adverse reactions. JAMA. Jun 4 2014;311(21):2231-2232.
- Bastuji-Garin S, Rzany B, Stern RS, Shear NH, Naldi L, Roujeau JC. Clinical classification of cases of toxic epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and erythema multiforme. Arch Dermatol. Jan 1993; 129(1):92-96.
- Cho YT, Lin JW, Chen YC, Chang CY, Hsiao CH, Chung WH, et al. Generalized bullous fixed drug eruption is distinct from Stevens-Johnson syndrome/ toxic epidermal necrolysis by immunohistopathological features. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:539–48.