The Paradoxical Induction of Crohn’s Disease Following Treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis With Etanercept
August 2019 | Volume 18 | Issue 8 | Case Reports | 832 | Copyright © August 2019
Mahtab Forouzandeh BS,a Thomas Vazquez BS,a,b Keyvan Nouri MD,a Bahram Forouzandeh MDc
aUniversity of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
bFlorida International University Wertheim College of Medicine, Miami, FL
cUniversity of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY
our patient’s cutaneous, arthritic, and gastrointestinal symptoms and may be considered an effective treatment option in patients suffering from both psoriasis and CD or the paradoxical induction of one disease entity secondary to treatment of the other.9
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
- Egeberg A, Mallbris L, Warren RB, et al. Association between psoriasis and inflammatory bowel disease: a Danish nationwide cohort study. Br J Dermatol. 2016;175(3):487-492.
- Baumgart DC, Sandborn WJ. Crohn's disease. Lancet. 2012;380(9853):1590- 1605.
- Quartier P, Taupin P, Bourdeaut F, et al. Efficacy of etanercept for the treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis according to the onset type. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48(4):1093-1101.
- Sandborn WJ, Hanauer SB, Katz S, et al. Etanercept for active Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology. 2001;121(5):1088-1094.
- Deepak P, Sandborn WJ. Ustekinumab and Anti-Interleukin-23 Agents in Crohn's Disease. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2017;46(3):603-626.
- Boyman O, Comte D, Spertini F. Adverse reactions to biologic agents and their medical management. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2014;10(10):612-627.
- Ahmad K, Rogers S. Development of Crohn disease in a patient on etanercept for psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 2007;157(2):396-396.
- Hohenberger M, Cardwell LA, Oussedik E, Feldman SR. Interleukin-17 inhibition: role in psoriasis and inflammatory bowel disease. J Dermatolog Treat. 2018;29(1):13-18.
- Kolios AGA, Biedermann L, Weber A, et al. Paradoxical ulcerative colitis during adalimumab treatment of psoriasis resolved by switch to ustekinumab. Br J Dermatol. 2018;178(2):551-555.
- Ruemmele FM, Prieur AM, Talbotec C, Goulet O, Schmitz J. Development of Crohn disease during anti-TNF-alpha therapy in a child with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2004;39(2):203-206.
- Oh J, Arkfeld DG, Horwitz DA. Development of Crohn's disease in a patient taking etanercept. J Rheumatol. 2005;32(4):752-753.