Secukinumab: Long-term Safety and Efficacy in Psoriasis
August 2017 | Volume 16 | Issue 8 | Supplement Individual Articles | 115 | Copyright © August 2017
Peter W. Hashim MD MHS,a Mark G. Lebwohl MD,a Leon H. Kircik MDa,b,c
aThe Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Dermatology, New York, NY bIndiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN cPhysicians Skin Care PLLC, Louisville, KY
Celgene, Valeant, Pfizer, Cellceutix, Promius, and Xenoport. Dr. Hashim has no conflicts.
- Michalek IM, Loring B, John SM. A systematic review of worldwide epidemiology of psoriasis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017;31(2):205-12.
- Radtke MA, Schafer I, Glaeske G, Jacobi A, Augustin M. Prevalence and comorbidities in adults with psoriasis compared to atopic eczema. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017;31(1):151-7.
- Nast A, Gisondi P, Ormerod AD, Saiag P, Smith C, Spuls PI, et al. European S3-Guidelines on the systemic treatment of psoriasis vulgaris--Update 2015--Short version--EDF in cooperation with EADV and IPC. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015;29(12):2277-94.
- Lebwohl M. Treatment of skin disease : comprehensive therapeutic strategies. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby/Elsevier; 2006. xxiv, 723 p. p.
- Kurd SK, Troxel AB, Crits-Christoph P, Gelfand JM. The risk of depression, anxiety, and suicidality in patients with psoriasis: a population-based cohort study. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146(8):891-5.
- Yeung H, Takeshita J, Mehta NN, Kimmel SE, Ogdie A, Margolis DJ, et al. Psoriasis severity and the prevalence of major medical comorbidity: a population-based study. JAMA Dermatol. 2013;149(10):1173-9.
- Ali FM, Cueva AC, Vyas J, Atwan AA, Salek MS, Finlay AY, et al. A systematic review of the use of quality-of-life instruments in randomized controlled trials for psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 2016. AQ: Complete reference, volume, page numbers.
- Rapp SR, Exum ML, Reboussin DM, Feldman SR, Fleischer A, Clark A. The physical, psychological and social impact of psoriasis. J Health Psychol. 1997;2(4):525-37.
- Sarkar R, Chugh S, Bansal S. General measures and quality of life issues in psoriasis. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016;7(6):481-8.
- Singh SM, Narang T, Dogra S, Verma AK, Gupta S, Handa S. An analysis of dermatological quality-of-life scores in relation to psychiatric morbidity in psoriasis. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016;7(3):208-9.
- Torres T, Puig L. Treatment goals for psoriasis: Should PASI 90 become the standard of care? Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2015;106(3):155-7.
- Chiricozzi A, Krueger JG. IL-17 targeted therapies for psoriasis. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2013;22(8):993-1005.
- Cai Y, Shen X, Ding C, Qi C, Li K, Li X, et al. Pivotal role of dermal IL-17-producing gammadelta T cells in skin inflammation. Immunity. 2011;35(4):596-610.
- Blauvelt A. Safety of secukinumab in the treatment of psoriasis. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2016;15(10):1413-20.
- Gisondi P, Dalle Vedove C, Girolomoni G. Efficacy and safety of secukinumab in chronic plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis therapy. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2014;4(1):1-9.
- Langley RG, Elewski BE, Lebwohl M, Reich K, Griffiths CE, Papp K, et al. Secukinumab in plaque psoriasis--results of two phase 3 trials. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(4):326-38.
- Ohtsuki M, Morita A, Abe M, Takahashi H, Seko N, Karpov A, et al. Secukinumab efficacy and safety in Japanese patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: subanalysis from ERASURE, a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 3 study. J Dermatol. 2014;41(12):1039-46.
- Rich P, Sigurgeirsson B, Thaci D, Ortonne JP, Paul C, Schopf RE, et al. Secukinumab induction and maintenance therapy in moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II regimen-finding study. Br J Dermatol. 2013;168(2):402-11.
- Thaci D, Humeniuk J, Frambach Y, Bissonnette R, Goodman JJ, Shevade S, et al. Secukinumab in psoriasis: randomized, controlled phase 3 trial results assessing the potential to improve treatment response in partial responders (STATURE). Br J Dermatol. 2015;173(3):777-87.
- Hueber W, Patel DD, Dryja T, Wright AM, Koroleva I, Bruin G, et al. Effects of AIN457, a fully human antibody to interleukin-17A, on psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and uveitis. Sci Transl Med. 2010;2(52):52ra72.
- Blauvelt A, Reich K, Tsai TF, Tyring S, Vanaclocha F, Kingo K, et al. Secukinumab is superior to ustekinumab in clearing skin of subjects with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis up to 1 year: Results from the CLEAR study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;76(1):60-9 e9.
- Mrowietz U, Leonardi CL, Girolomoni G, Toth D, Morita A, Balki SA, et al. Secukinumab retreatment-as-needed versus fixed-interval maintenance regimen for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis: A randomized, double-blind, noninferiority trial (SCULPTURE). J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015;73(1):27-36 e1.
- Bissonnette R LT, Thaçi D, Toth D, Messina I, Xia S, Safi J, Piketty C, Papavassilis C, Mrowietz U. Secukinumab demonstrates favorable safety in subjects with moderate to severe psoriasis: 3 year results from an extension to the SCULPTURE study. Poster presented at: 25th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Congress, 28th September - 2nd October 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Bissonnette R LT, Diamant T, Toth D, Letzelter K, Xia S, Mazur R, Milutinovic M, Leonardi C. Secukinumab Demonstrates Sustained High Efficacy and a Favorable Safety Profile in Moderate to Severe Psoriasis Patients Through 4 Years of Treatment. Oral presentation at: 25th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Congress, 28th September – 2nd October 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Reich K, Blauvelt A, Armstrong A, Langley RG, Fox T, Huang J, et al. Secukinumab, a fully human anti-interleukin-17A monoclonal antibody, exhibits minimal immunogenicity in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 2016.
- Pettey AA, Balkrishnan R, Rapp SR, Fleischer AB, Feldman SR. Patients with palmoplantar psoriasis have more physical disability and discomfort than patients with other forms of psoriasis: Implications for clinical practice. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003;49(2):271-5.
- Gottlieb A, Sullivan J, van Doorn M, Kubanov A, You RQ, Parneix A, et al. Secukinumab shows significant efficacy in palmoplantar psoriasis: Results from GESTURE, a randomized controlled trial. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;76(1):70-80.
- Gottlieb A SJ, Kubanov A, Tao A, Regnault P, Fox T, Milutinovic M, Frueh J. Secukinumab is Effective in Subjects With Moderate to Severe Palmoplantar Psoriasis: 1.5 Year Results From the GESTURE Study. Poster presented at: 25th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Congress, 28th September – 2nd October 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Augustin M, Reich K, Blome C, Schafer I, Laass A, Radtke MA. Nail psoriasis in Germany: epidemiology and burden of disease. Br J Dermatol. 2010;163(3):580-5.
- Salomon J, Szepietowski JC, Proniewicz A. Psoriatic nails: a prospective clinical study. J Cutan Med Surg. 2003;7(4):317-21.
- Choi JW, Kim BR, Seo E, Youn SW. Identification of nail features associated with psoriasis severity. J Dermatol. 2016.
- de Jong EM, Seegers BA, Gulinck MK, Boezeman JB, van de Kerkhof PC. Psoriasis of the nails associated with disability in a large number of patients: results of a recent interview with 1,728 patients. Dermatology. 1996;193(4):300-3.
- Reich K SJ, Arenberger P, Mrowietz U, Jazayeri S, Augustin M, Parneix A, Regnault P, You R, Milutinovic M. Secukinumab Shows Significant Efficacy in Nail Psoriasis: Week 32 Results from the TRANSFIGURE Study. Poster presented at: 25th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Congress, 28th September – 2nd October 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- McInnes IB KB, Mease P, Bhosekar V, Mpofu S, Gandhi K, Gaillez C on behalf of the FUTURE 2 study group. Secukinumab Provides Rapid and Sustained Reductions in Dactylitis, Enthesitis and Nail Psoriasis in Patients with Psoriatic Arthritis: 52-week Results of the FUTURE 2 study. Poster presented at: 25th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Congress, 28th September – 2nd October 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Cosentyx [package insert]. East Hanover (NJ): Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; 2016.
Leon H. Kircik MD firstname.lastname@example.org