Biotech, and LEO Pharma; is a consultant for AbbVie, Allergan, Amgen, Eli Lilly and Company, Janssen Biotech, and LEO Pharma; is an investigator for AbbVie, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Celgene, Dermira, Eli Lilly and Company, Janssen Biotech, LEO Pharma, Merck, Neothetics, Novartis, Pfizer, Regeneron, and Syntrix; and is a speaker for AbbVie, Amgen, Janssen Biotech, and LEO Pharma. He has received grant support from AbbVie, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Cellgene, Dermira, Janssen Biotech, LEO Pharma, Merck, Neothetics, Novartis, Pfizer, Regeneron, and Syntrix; and has received honoraria from AbbVie, Allergan, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly and Company, Galderma, Janssen Biotech, LEO Pharma, Novartis, and Pfizer. R. Bissonnette is an advisory board member and has received honoraria from AbbVie, Amgen, BMS, Janssen, and Merck; is a consultant for and receives honoraria from AbbVie, Amgen, Celgene, Eli Lilly and Company, Galderma, Incyte, Janssen, Leo Pharma, Merck, and Novartis; is a speaker for and receives honoraria from AbbVie, Amgen, Galderma, Janssen, Leo Pharma and Merck; is an investigator for, and his institution receives grant support from, AbbVie, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Celgene, Eli Lilly and Company, Galderma, GSK Steifel, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer, Kineta, Incyte, Janssen, and Leo Pharma. L. Guenther has received research grants from, and has been a speaker and consultant for, Abbvie, Amgen, Celgene, Eli Lilly, Galderma, Glaxo Smith Kline, Janssen, Leo pharma, Merck Frosst, Novartis, Pfizer, Roche and Valeant. Dr. Guenther also received research grants from Boehringer Ingelheim, and has been a speaker for, and consultant to, Tribute. J. Sullivan is a consultant and advisory board member for Abbvie, Celgene, Eli Lilly and Company, Leo Pharma, and Novartis. K. Meeuwis is a consultant and received honoraria from Eli Lilly and Company, and Eucerin and has been an advisory board member and received honoraria from Eucerin, Netherlands. K. Callis Duffin is a consultant and advisory board member for Amgen, Eli Lilly and Company, Janssen, Stiefel, AbbVie, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Celgene, Pfizer, Novartis, and Boehringer Ingelheim. She has received grant/research support from Amgen, Eli Lilly and Company, Janssen, Stiefel, AbbVie, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Celgene, Novartis, Regeneron, and Boehringer Ingelheim. A. Potts Bleakman, A. N. Naegeli, and K. See own stock and are employees of Eli Lilly and Company.
The authors thank Caitriona Ryan MD, Scott Fretzin MD, Lotus Mallbris MD PhD, and Abrar Qureshi MD MPH for valuable scientific feedback on the development of the sPGA of Genitalia scale. The authors thank Amanda Oakley MBChB FRACP PGDipHealInf FNZDS (DermNet NZ) for her assistance in acquiring patient photographs. The authors thank Missy McKean-Matthews, MS, a statistician at inVentiv Health Clinical for providing statistical support. The authors also thank Clinton C. Bertram PhD, a medical writer and employee of Eli Lilly and Company, for writing support.
- Rachakonda TD, Schupp CW , Armstrong AW. Psoriasis prevalence among adults in the United States. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014;70:512-6.
- Fouere S, Adjadj L , Pawin H. How patients experience psoriasis: results from a European survey. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2005;19 Suppl 3:2-6.
- Meeuwis KA, de Hullu JA, Massuger LF et al. Genital psoriasis: A systematic literature review on this hidden skin disease. Acta Derm Venereol 2011;91:5- 11.
- Meeuwis KA, de Hullu JA, de Jager ME et al. Genital psoriasis: a questionnaire-based survey on a concealed skin disease in the Netherlands. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2010;24:1425-30.
- Ryan C, Sadlier M, De Vol E et al. Genital psoriasis is associated with significant impairment in quality of life and sexual functioning. J Am Acad Dermatol 2015;72:978-83.
- Ji S, Zang Z, Ma H et al. Erectile dysfunction in patients with plaque psoriasis: the relation of depression and cardiovascular factors. Int J Impot Res 2016;28:96-100.
- Meeuwis KA, de Hullu JA, IntHout J et al. Genital psoriasis awareness program: physical and psychological care for patients with genital psoriasis. Acta Derm Venereol 2015;95:211-6.
- Meeuwis KA, de Hullu JA, van de Nieuwenhof HP et al. Quality of life and sexual health in patients with genital psoriasis. Br J Dermatol 2011;164:1247- 55.
- American Academy of Dermatology Work Group, Menter A, Korman NJ et al. Guidelines of care for the management of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: section 6. Guidelines of care for the treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis: case-based presentations and evidence-based conclusions. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011;65:137-74.
- Canadian Dermatology Association. Canadian Guidelines for the Management of Plaque Psoriasis. Available at: http://www.dermatology.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cdnpsoriasisguidelines.pdf. Accessed September 13, 2016.
- Mrowietz U, Kragballe K, Reich K et al. De nition of treatment goals for moderate to severe psoriasis: a European consensus. Arch Dermatol Res 2011;303:1-10.
- Canadian Psoriasis Guidelines Addendum C. 2016 Addendum to the Canadian Guidelines for the Management of Plaque Psoriasis 2009. J Cutan Med Surg 2016;20:375-431.
- Meeuwis KA, van de Kerkhof PC, Massuger LF et al. Patients’ experience of psoriasis in the genital area. Dermatology 2012;224:271-6.
- Welsh BM, Berzins KN, Cook KA et al. Management of common vulval conditions. Med J Aust 2003;178:391-5.
- Bissonnette R, Nigen S , Bolduc C. Efficacy and tolerability of topical tacrolimus ointment for the treatment of male genital psoriasis. J Cutan Med Surg 2008;12:230-4.
- Schmid-Ott G, Kuensebeck HW, Jaeger B et al. Validity study for the stigmatization experience in atopic dermatitis and psoriatic patients. Acta Derm Venereol 1999;79:443-7.
- Langley RG, Elewski BE, Lebwohl M et al. Secukinumab in plaque psoriasis-results of two phase 3 trials. N Engl J Med 2014;371:326-38.
- Gordon KB, Colombel JF , Hardin DS. Phase 3 Trials of Ixekizumab in Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis. N Engl J Med 2016;375:2102.
- Gordon KB, Langley RG, Leonardi C et al. Clinical response to adalimumab treatment in patients with moderate to severe psoriasis: double-blind, randomized controlled trial and open-label extension study. J Am Acad Dermatol 2006;55:598-606.
- Martin Ezquerra G, Sanchez Regana M, Herrera Acosta E et al. Topical tacrolimus for the treatment of psoriasis on the face, genitalia, intertriginous areas and corporal plaques. J Drugs Dermatol 2006;5:334-6.
- Jemec GB , Baadsgaard O. Effect of cyclosporine on genital psoriasis and lichen planus. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993;29:1048-9.
- Liao YH, Chiu HC, Tseng YS et al. Comparison of cutaneous tolerance and efficacy of calcitriol 3 microg g(-1) ointment and tacrolimus 0.3 mg g(-1) ointment in chronic plaque psoriasis involving facial or genitofemoral areas: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Br J Dermatol 2007;157:1005-12.
- de Rie MA, Goedkoop AY , Bos JD. Overview of psoriasis. Dermatol Ther 2004;17:341-9.
- Merola JF, Armstrong AW, Saraiya A et al. International Dermatology Outcome Measures Initiative as Applied to Psoriatic Disease Outcomes: An Update. J Rheumatol 2016;43:959-60.
- Paul C, Bushmakin AG, Cappelleri JC et al. Do Patients and Physicians Agree in Their Assessment of the Severity of Psoriasis? Insights from Tofacitinib Phase 3 Clinical Trials. J Dermatolog Clin Res 2015;3:1048.
- Feldman SR , Krueger GG. Psoriasis assessment tools in clinical trials. Ann Rheum Dis 2005;64 Suppl 2:ii65-8; discussion ii9-73.
- European Medicines Agency. Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP). Guideline on Clinical Investigation of Medicinal Products Indi- cated for the Treatment of Psoriasis. Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/ docs/en_GB/document_library/Scienti c_guideline/2009/09/WC500003329. pdf. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Joseph F. Merola MD MMSc E-mail:................................................... [email protected]