The Safety and Efficacy of a Sustainable Marine Extract for the Treatment of Thinning Hair: A Summary of New Clinical Research and Results from a Panel Discussion on the Problem of Thinning Hair and Current Treatments
September 2015 | Volume 14 | Issue 9 | Supplement Individual Articles | 15 | Copyright © September 2015
Carl S. Hornfeldt PhD RPha and Mark Hollandb
Panel Discussion with Vivian W. Bucay MD,c Wendy E. Roberts MD,d Heidi A. Waldorf MD,e
and Steven H. Dayan MDf
aApothekon, Inc., St Paul, MN
bLifes2good, Inc., Chicago, IL
cCenter for Dermatology and Aesthetics, San Antonio, TX
dRancho Mirage Dermatologist, Rancho Mirage, CA
eDepartment of Dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
fDepartment of Otolaryngology, University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Williamson D, Gonzalez M, Finlay AY. The effect of hair loss on quality of life. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2001;15(2):137-139.
- Reid EE, Haley AC, Borovicka JH, et al. Clinical severity does not reliably predict quality of life in women with alopecia areata, telogen effluvium, or androgenic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;66(3):e97-e102.
- Cash TF. The psychological effects of androgenetic alopecia in men. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1992;26(6):926-931.
- Cash TF, Price VH, Savin RC. Psychological effects of androgenetic alopecia on women: comparisons with balding men and with female control subjects. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1993;29(4):568-575.
- Rushton DH. Nutritional factors and hair loss. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2002;27(5):396-404.
- van Zuuren EJ, Fedorowicz Z, Carter B. Evidence-based treatments for female
pattern hair loss: a summary of a Cochrane systematic review. Br J Dermatol. 2012;167(5):995-1010.
- van Zuuren EJ, Fedorowicz Z, Carter B, Andriolo RB, Schoones J. Interventions
for female pattern hair loss. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;5:CD007628.
- Irwig MS. Safety concerns regarding 5α reductase inhibitors for the treatment
of androgenetic alopecia. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2015;22(3):248-253.
- Trost LB, Bergfeld WF, Calogeras E. The diagnosis and treatment of iron deficiency and its potential relationship to hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;54(5):824-844.
- Strumia R. Dermatologic signs in patients with eating disorders. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2005;6(3):165-173.
- Patel DR, Phillips EL, Pratt HD. Eating disorders. Indian J Pediatr. 1998;65(4):487-494.
- Nasri H, Baradaran A, Shirzad H, Rafieian-Kopaei M. New concepts in nutraceuticals
as alternative for pharmaceuticals. Int J Prev Med. 2014;5(12):1487-1499.
- Das L, Bhaumik E, Raychaudhuri U, Chakraborty R. Role of nutraceuticals in human health. J Food Sci Technol. 2012;49(2):173-183.
- Lassus A, Eskelinen E. A comparative study of a new food supplement, Viviscal,
with fish extract for the treatment of hereditary androgenic alopecia in young males. J Int Med Res. 1992;20(6):445-453.
- Lassus A, Santalahti J, Sellmann M. Treatment of hereditary androgenic alopecia in middle-aged males by combined oral and topical administration
of special marine extract-compound. Les Nouvelles Dermatologiques. 1994;13:254-255.
- Lassus A, Santalahti J. Treatment of alopecia areata and alopecia totalis with Viviscal. J Int Med Res. 1992;445-453.
- Ablon G. A 3-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the ability of Viviscal extra-strength formulation to promote hair growth and decrease shedding in women with self-perceived thinning hair. Dermatol Res Pract. 2015;841570.
- Herndon J, Sperber B, Stephens T, Rizer R, Murphy J, Ablon G. Statistically-significant benefits, in the reduction of hair shedding and increase in diameter
of vellus hair, in females with sub-clinical hair thinning/loss, from Viviscal
dietary/food supplement containing marine proteins. Poster presented at the 2013 World Hair Congress, Edinburgh.
- Ablon G, Dayan S. A 6-month randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled multi-center study evaluating the efficacy of a new oral supplement in women
with self-perceived thinning hair. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2015. (Under review for publication).
- Tobin DJ, Gunin A, Magerl M, Paus R. Plasticity and cytokinetic dynamics of the hair follicle mesenchyme during the hair growth cycle: implications for growth control and hair follicle transformations. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2003;8(1):80-86.
- Schneider MR, Schmidt-Ullrich R, Paus R. The hair follicle as a dynamic miniorgan. Curr Biol. 2009;19(3):132-142.
- Yang CC, Cotsarelis G. Review of hair follicle dermal cells. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;57(1):2-11.
- Iida M, Ihara S, Matsuzaki T. Hair cycle-dependent changes of alkaline phosphatase
activity in the mesenchyme and epithelium in mouse vibrissal follicles. Dev Growth Differ. 2007;49(3):185-195.
- Bloch L. Demonstrating the efficacy of a nutraceutical for promoting hair growth using a digital photography technique with posterior image analysis.
Submitted for poster presentation at the 2015 World Hair Congress, Miami.
- Pinski KS. Patient satisfaction following the use of a hair fiber filler product to temporarily increase the thickness and fullness of thinning hair. Skinmed. 2014;12(5):278-281.
- Jackson B. A 4-month clinical study evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of an oral supplement for the treatment of thinning hair in African American women. Poster presented at South Beach Symposium 2011.
- Murphy J. A 10-week pilot consumer perception test to evaluate the overall acceptability of a Viviscal oral supplement when used by females with self-perceived thinning hair. 2010. http://www.viviscal.com/media//cms/docs/pilot-study.pdf. Accessed August 11 2015.
- Pereira J. Treatment of androgenetic alopecia with a marine-based extract
of proteins and polysaccharides. Revista Brasileira De Medicina. 1997;54(3):144-149.
- Majass M, Puuste O, Prästbacka B, Brorsdotter-Johansson P. Treatment of alopecia areata, alopecia totalis and alopecia universalis with oral Viviscal for 12 months. Swedish Association for Alopecia, Mölndal, Sweden; 1996.