superficial portions of the gland and sparing of the surrounding
skin. The one biopsy shows that although selectivity is
possible with this wavelength, the relatively shallow optical
penetration depth prevents complete destruction of the deeper
portions of some larger lesions. However, those deeper
portions are less visible at the surface, and presumably mild
fibrosis over the surviving portion of the lesion obscures the
conspicuous yellow nature of the lesion.
This small pilot study supports the utility and safety of this wavelength
in the treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia. Larger studies
and broader applications of this wavelength should be undertaken.
The favor of the loan of the device used in this study was provided
by Del Mar Technologies, Inc, Del Mar, CA.
Dr. Blalock and Ms. Houghton have no conflicts of interest.
Dr. Winstanley is currently serving as a medical officer in the
U.S. Navy. The views expressed in this article are those of the
authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the
Department of the Navy, Department of Defense, or the U.S.
- Aghassi D, González E, Anderson RR, Rajadhyaksha M, González S. Elucidating
the pulsed-dye laser treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia in vivo
with real-time confocal scanning laser microscopy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000;43(1 Pt 1):49-53.
- No D, McClaren M, Chotzen V, Kilmer SL. Sebaceous hyperplasia treated
with a 1450-nm diode laser. Dermatol Surg. 2004;30(3):382-384.
- Horio T, Horio O, Miyauchi-Hashimoto H, Ohnuki M, Isei T. Photodynamic
therapy of sebaceous hyperplasia with topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid and
slide projector. Br J Dermatol. 2003;148(6):1274-1276.
- Bader RS, Scarborough DA. Surgical pearl: intralesional electrodesiccation
of sebaceous hyperplasia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2000;42(1 Pt 1):127-128.
- McDonald SK, Goh MS, Chong AH. Successful treatment of cyclosporineinduced
sebaceous hyperplasia with oral isotretinoin in two renal transplant
recipients. Australas J Dermatol. 2011;52(3):227-230.
- Yu C, Shahsavari M, Stevens G, Liskanich R, Horowitz D. Isotretinoin as monotherapy
for sebaceous hyperplasia.J Drugs Dermatol.2010;9(6):699-701.
- Wanner M, Avram M, Gagnon D, et al. Effects of non-invasive, 1,210 nm
laser exposure on adipose tissue: results of a human pilot study. Lasers Surg
- Sakamoto FH, Doukas AG, Farinelli WA, et al. Selective photothermolysis to
target sebaceous glands: theoretical estimation of parameters and preliminary
results using a free electron laser. Lasers Surg Med. 2012;44(2):175-183
Douglas Winstanley DOdwinst2@yahoo.com