From Probiotic to Prebiotic Using Thermal Spring Water
June 2018 | Volume 17 | Issue 6 | Original Article | 657 | Copyright © 2018
Joshua Zeichner MDa and Sophie Seite PhDb
aMount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY bLa Roche-Posay Dermatological Laboratories, Levallois-Perret, France
LIMITATIONSSkin microbiome studies are challenging and costly. Currently results are a discussion of in-vivo data that demonstrated microbiome alterations correlated with skin condition improvement when using balneotherapy at the source with probiotic LRP-TSW, topical filtered LRP-TSW, and skincare containing more than 50% LRP-TSW. More comparative studies using TSW with different mineral compositions are needed to better understand the mechanism(s) of action.
CONCLUSIONLRP-TSW exhibits both prebiotic for its mineral composition and probiotic properties for its bacterial diversity. LRP balneotherapy has been shown to effectively treat inflammatory skin conditions including AD and psoriasis. An abnormal microbiota is associated with skin disease and improvements in microbial diversity correlated with clinical improvements in the severity of the skin disease itself. LRP-TSW has been shown in clinical studies to improve skin microbiome diversity as well as the decreased severity of active lesions in skin diseases like AD, psoriasis, and general dryness in otherwise healthy skin. The concentration of minerals and non-pathogenic microbes likely explain its therapeutic benefit and make it an attractive option for treating inflammatory skin diseases.
DISCLOSURESJoshua Zeichner has served as an advisory board member and consultant to La Roche Posay. Sophie Seité is an employee of La Roche-Posay, France.
ACKNOWLEDGMENTSThe author would like to thank Dr. Andriessen of RBC Consultants for writing assistance. Her support was funded by La Roche-Posay Dermatological Laboratories, France.
- Gambichler T, Kuster W, Kreuter A et al. Balneotherapy combined treatment of psoriasis vulgaris and atopic dermatitis with salt water baths and artificial ultraviolet radiation. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2000;14:425-428.
- Seité S. Thermal waters as cosmeceuticals: La Roche-Posay thermal spring water example. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2013;6:23-28.
- Pinton J, Friden H, Kettaneh-Wold N, et al. Clinical and biological effects of balneotherapy with selenium-rich spa water in patients with psoriasis vulgaris. Br J Dermatol. 1995;133:344-347.
- Vital M, Dignum M, Magic-Knezev A, et al. Flow cytometry and adenosine tri-phosphate analysis: alternative possibilities to evaluate major bacteriological changes in drinking water treatment and distribution systems. Water Res. 2012;46:4665-4676.
- Costello EK, Lauber CL, Hamady M, et al. Bacterial community variation in human body habitats across space and time. Science. 2009;326:1694-1697.
- Fierer N, Lauber CL, Zhou N, et al. Forensic identification using skin bacterial communities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6477-6481.
- Baldwin HE, Bhatia ND, Friedman A, Eng RM, Seité S. The Role of Cutaneous Microbiota Harmony in Maintaining a Functional Skin Barrier. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017;1;16(1):12-18.
- Schommer NN, Gallo RL. Structure and function of the human skin microbiome. Trends Microbiol. 2013;21:660-668.
- Grice EA, Segre JA. The human microbiome: our second genome. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2012;13:151-170.
- Grice EA. The intersection of microbiome and host at the skin interface: genomic-and metagenomic-based insights. Genome Res. 2015;25:1514-1520.
- Rosenthal M, Goldberg D, Aiello A, et al. Skin microbiota: microbial community structure and its potential association with health and disease. Infect Genet Evol. 2011;11:839-848.
- Seité S, Flores GE, Henley JB, et al. Microbiome of the affected and unaffected skin of patients with atopic dermatitis before and after emollient treatment. J Drugs Dermatol. 2014;13:1365-1372.
- Seité S, Zelenkova H, Martin R. Clinical efficacy of emollients in atopic dermatitis patients - relationship with the skin microbiota modification. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2017;10:25-33.
- Martin R, Henley JB, Sarrazin P, et al. Skin Microbiome in Patients With Psoriasis Before and After Balneotherapy at the Thermal Care Center of La Roche-Posay. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015;14:1400-1405.
Joshua Zeichner MD