Expert Consensus on Achieving Optimal Outcomes With Absorbable Suspension Suture Technology for Tissue Repositioning and Facial Recontouring
June 2018 | Volume 17 | Issue 6 | Original Article | 647 | Copyright © 2018
Z. Paul Lorenc MD FACS,a Glynis Ablon MD,b Julius Few MD,c Michael H. Gold MD,d David J. Goldberg MD JD,e Stephen Mandy MD PhD,f Mark S. Nestor MD PhD,g and Susan H. Weinkle MDh
aLorenc Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Center, New York, NY; Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY bUniversity of California, Los Angeles, CA; Ablon Skin Institute Research Center, Manhattan Beach, CA cFew Institute for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Chicago, IL; University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL; Northwestern University, Evanston, IL dGold Skin Care Center, Nashville; Tennessee Clinical Research Center, Nashville, TN; Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, Nashville, TN; Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine, Nashville, TN eSkin Laser & Surgery Specialists of NY/NJ; Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY; Fordham Law School, New York, NYfSouth Beach Dermatology, Miami Beach, FL; University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami Beach, FL gCenter for Clinical and Cosmetic Research, Center for Clinical Enhancement, Aventura, FL; University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL hBay Area Medical Complex, West, Bradenton, FL
utilize absorbable suspension sutures more frequently in their practice as part of an evolving tool set to maximize clinical results and patient satisfaction.
Dr. Lorenc is a consultant for Jonhson & Johnson, Merz, Allergan, Galderma, Sinclair Pharma, CorMedix, ThermiAesthetics, and Almirall Pharma. Dr. Ablon is an Associate Clinical Professor at UCLA, consultant and advisory board member for Galderma, Sinclair, Thermi-Almirall, Erchonia, Sunetics, Nutrafol, and Lifes2Good. Dr. Few is a consultant and investigator for Allergan, Galderma, Merz, Venus Concepts, and Zeltiq. Dr. Gold is a consultant for Sinclair Pharma and Thermi-Almirall. Dr. Goldberg is a consultant for Sinclair Pharma. Dr. Mandy is a consultant for and has received salary from Almirall and Sinclair Pharma; is an advisory board member for and has received honoraria from Galderma USA and Valeant Pharmaceuticals; is an advisory board member for Merz Aesthetics; and has received honoraria from Procter & Gamble Company and from International Speaker & Faculty Education. Dr. Nestor is a consultant and advisory board member for and has received research grants from Sinclair Pharma, and is a consultant, advisory board member, and speaker for Thermi-Almirall; a consultant and advisory board member for Almirall; a consultant for Bayer Healthcare; a consultant and speaker for Sensus Healthcare; a speaker and principal investigator for IFC, S.A; a principal investigator and consultant for CROMA Pharma, Ferndale, and Johnson & Johnson; and a principal investigator for Actavis, Allergan, Annacor Pharmaceuticals, Biofrontera, Brickell Biotech, Cynova Laboratories, DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Demira, Evolus, Intraderm, LEO Pharma, MC2 Therapeutics, and SASIF & Sonoma. Dr. Weinkle is a consultant, principal investigator, advisory board member and speaker for Allergan; a stock holder and principal investigator for Derm Advance; an advisory board member, consultant, and speaker for Ethicon and Merz; a consultant and speaker for Galderma; a consultant for Proctor & Gamble; and a principal investigator for Teoxane, Alphaeon, and Sinclair Pharma.
The authors thank Ginny Vachon PhD of Principal Medvantage, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia, USA for providing medical writing support, provided by X-Medica, LLC with an educational grant from Sinclair.
- Farkas JP, Pessa JE, Hubbard B, Rohrich RJ. The science and theory behind facial aging. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2013;1(1):e8-e15.
- Cotofana S, Fratila AA, Schenck TL, Redka-Swoboda W, Zilinsky I, Pavicic T. The anatomy of the aging face: a review. Facial Plast Surg. 2016;32(3):253-260.
- Kretlow JD, Hollier LH, Jr., Hatef DA. The facial aging debate of deflation versus attenuation: attenuation strikes back. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;130(1):180e-181e; author reply 182e.
- Wong CH, Mendelson B. Newer understanding of specific anatomic targets in the aging face as applied to injectables: aging changes in the craniofacial skeleton and facial ligaments. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(5 Suppl):44S-48S.
- Nestor MS, Ablon G, Andriessen A, et al. Expert consensus on absorbable advanced suspension technology for facial tissue repositioning and volume enhancement. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017;16(7):661-666.
- Sillhouette InstaLift™ [instructions for use]. Irvine, CA: Sillhouette Lift Inc.; August 3, 2017.
- Goldberg D, Guana A, Volk A, Daro-Kaftan E. Single-arm study for the characterization of human tissue response to injectable poly-L-lactic acid. Dermatol Surg. 2013;39(6):915-22.
- Stein P, Vitavska O, Kind P, Hoppe W, Wieczorek H, Schurer NY. The biological basis for poly-L-lactic acid-induced augmentation. J Dermatol Sci. 2015;78(1):26-33.
- Nestor MS. Facial lift and patient satisfaction following treatment: 12-month data - a prospective, masked, controlled clinical study. Poster presented at: 2018 South Beach Symposium (SBS); March 1–4, 2018; Miami Beach, FL. Abstract 66937.
- Nestor MS. Improved patient satisfaction 12 months following treatment with Silhouette InstaLift™: data from a prospective, masked, controlled clinical study. Poster presented at: IMCAS World Congress 2018; February 1–3, 2018; Paris, France.
- Jones D, Murphy DK. Volumizing hyaluronic acid filler for midface volume deficit: 2-year results from a pivotal single-blind randomized controlled study. Dermatol Surg. 2013;39(11):1602-1612.
- Ogilvie MP, Few JW, Jr., Tomur SS, et al. Rejuvenating the face: an analysis of 100 absorbable suture suspension patients [published online December 8, 2017]. Aesthet Surg J.
- Bauer U, Graivier MH. Optimizing injectable poly-L-lactic acid administration for soft tissue augmentation: the rationale for three treatment sessions. Can J Plast Surg. 2011;19(3):e22-e27.
- Sinclair Pharma plc. Internal safety report. London, UK: December 2017.
Z. Paul Lorenc MD FACS